Book Reviews and More

Hi! This blog is for my classes at Texas Woman's University.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Gratitude for my Writing Community


We are two months into our summer accountability challenge, and I personally am really enjoying it. In addition to the accountability factor (which is incredibly helpful), I’m having a lot of fun getting to know my fellow writers better. It is great to hear about their challenges, their adventures, and the ups and downs that go along with their writing process.

I have been a member of SCBWI for more than 6 years now. I’m still working toward my goal of publication but even though I haven’t been published yet, I can honestly say I don’t feel like my time has been wasted. I have met so many wonderful, encouraging people - so many that I consider my friends. The conferences I’ve attended have not only been beneficial to my writing, but great experiences all around. I’ve met authors that I’ve enjoyed since childhood, and newer ones that I am in awe of their talent. As a true book nerd, just being in the same room with all those authors is truly inspirational and a whole lot of fun!

Writing is by its nature a solitary pursuit. It seems like it should be a lonely one as well. But honestly, I feel like I have more friends since I began writing - and even better, they share my interests! SCBWI is often referred to as a “tribe,” and it is definitely an apt description. It is truly a blessing to have such an encouraging group of people supporting my dreams. Thank you all!

“Nothing can make our life, or the lives of other people, more beautiful than perpetual kindness.” - Leo Tolstoy

“To be really happy and really safe, one ought to have at least two or three hobbies, and they must all be real.” - Winston Churchill

“All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” -Charles Kingsley

Some great conference moments with author Gary Schmidt

With author Henry Winkler (aka the Fonz)

No comments:

Post a Comment