Book Reviews and More

Hi! This blog is for my classes at Texas Woman's University.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Top 5 on the Texas Bluebonnet List

Hello to everyone!

I apologize for my lag in posting last week. School is underway here and that means we are on the go! I wish that I could say that I spent the last week frantically finishing my manuscript, but alas, it was mostly taken up by training new library volunteers, running the kids around to their activities, and doing homework for my graduate school classes. I have two interesting, but project-heavy, classes this semester so they will keep me hard at work!

But I wanted to flashback to summer a minute and share with you my personal top 5 Texas Bluebonnet books. I was surprised by my mixed reactions to the books on the list. Some I flew threw, and others I really struggled to finish. I am taking a look at what worked and didn't work for me with those books, so I can apply it to my own writing.

I definitely enjoyed more than 5 of the books, but here are the ones that I found most entertaining.

The picture book The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt, illustrated by Oliver Jeffers is taking the book world by storm. It is so charming and fun, it's definitely one that I can read again and again. Two of the books, Liar and Spy by Rebecca Stead and Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo, illustrated by K.G. Campbell, I had already read before the Bluebonnet list even came out. Both were clever and heartfelt middle grade books that deserve the recognition they've gotten (Flora & Ulysses won the Newbery earlier this year). The Neptune Project, by Polly Holyoke surprised me with how much I enjoyed it. The adventure novel is obviously going to have a sequel, and I will make sure to pick that one up. I also enjoyed the steampunk adventure novel The Expeditioners and the Treasure of Drowned Man's Canyon. I wouldn't have thought of myself a steampunk fan, but the interesting premise and well-portrayed sibling relationships kept me hooked.

I know I said top 5, but if I had to give a few shout-outs for recommendations for reluctant readers, it would be to Spy Camp by Stuart Gibbs, Platypus Police Squad: The Frog who Croaked by Jarrett J. Krosoczka and Face Bug by J. Patrick Lewis. All three are fun, easy reads and I especially love Face Bug for combining the high interest topic of bugs with poetry.

So there you have it! Whew! I made it through all 20 Bluebonnet books. I hope you were able to enjoy some as well - or that you add a few to your to-be-read list.



No comments:

Post a Comment