Book Reviews and More

Hi! This blog is for my classes at Texas Woman's University.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

New lists to increase our To Be Read (TBR) pile

Hi everyone!

Here in Texas, it's an exciting time because the new Bluebonnet list for 2015-2016 is out. The list is recommended reading targeted toward 3-6th graders and put together by the Texas Library Association (TLA). To be honest, the timing of the lists always confuses me a bit, because at most schools, kids are still trying to read the 2014-2015 selections. While I understand that the lists come out in November for the following year, since most Bluebonnet programs are done at schools, I've always thought a list that coincides with the school year would be a little less confusing. Regardless of all of that, on with the list!

First, let me give a big hooray(!) because one of my favorite books I read this year is on the list: The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy. In fact, I enjoyed the book so much that I chose it for my latest book trailer project. This time for it's for my Youth Programs class. Here's the link to the trailer: https://animoto.com/play/w1FyPpv1KtApB9C0t9h1ng or hopefully it will play here:



To my surprise, that is the only book on the list I've read so far. Although, quite a few have been on my bed stand for a while - so now I will have the motivation to move them up the pile.

Here's the selections this year:

The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier
The Great American Dust Bowl by Don Brown
The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus by Jen Bryant
The Misadventures of Salem Hyde: Book One: Spelling Trouble by Frank Cammuso
Always, Abigail by Nancy Cavanaugh
Emily's Blue Period by Cathleen Daly
Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos and David Teague
Sky Jumpers by Peggy Eddleman
The Vanishing Coin by Kate Egan and magician Mike Lane
The Scraps Book: Notes from a Colorful Life by Lois Ehlert
Mountain Dog by Margarita Engle
Grandfather Gandhi by Arun Gandhi and Bethany Hegedus
The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy
When the Beat Was Born: DJ Kool Herc and the Creation of Hip Hop by Laban Carrick Hill
Zane and the Hurricane: A Story of Katrina by Rodman Philbrick
Quinny & Hopper by Adriana Brad Schanen
The Lost Planet by Rachel Searles
Rutherford B., Who Was He?: Poems About Our Presidents by Marilyn Singer
Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and her Family's Fight for Desegregation by Duncan Tonatiuh
The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing by Sheila Turnage

Here is the link to the official Texas Bluebonnet list:
http://www.txla.org/sites/tla/files/groups/TBA/docs/TBA-15-16.pdf

What do you think of the list? I'm seeing a few more historical-based titles, which should make great tie-ins with other classroom subjects, especially social studies, art, and music. Some repeat performers as well, The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing is the follow-up to Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage. Marilyn Singer was also on the list for her creative poetry book Mirror Mirror, so I look forward to seeing her poetic take on the Presidents.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment